Why Do People Use Social Media? It’s All About Connecting
At the very foundation of your reason, you should see that you were looking to connect on social media with other people.
Maybe you wanted to:
- Ask a question
- Get more business
- Chat with friends
- See what your friends were talking about
- Follow a business
- Join a group for information
But, at the end of the day, you wanted to connect.
Why Social Media? Connection!!
Your fans and followers have joined social media because they want to connect, too. Maybe they joined just for you, or maybe they joined to connect with someone else, but that is the primary reason they are there.
And this is significantly important for you to understand.
What Makes a Good Fanpage or Social Profile?
You see many fanpages and twitter profiles are all about them. What they want to share and what they want their followers to do.
But a successful profile or fanpage is about the audience.
- Sharing content that they want to see
- Giving them information that makes using your products & services easier
- Entertaining them with visual content they will enjoy
- Making their lives easier
- Providing other value
Whole Foods is a good example, they are regularly posting recipes for their followers, along with links to great information.
Personalization For Social Media Success
Connect with your followers. Once you are done providing updates they need, want and enjoy, you should personalize updates by:
- Reaching out to specific followers and getting to know them
- Asking questions about them
- Asking questions about why they enjoy your topic
- Answering all of their questions
- Building relationships with other fanpages they like
- Asking them how you can help
- Answering every like or comment, even if only to say thank you
- Reading their updates and follow them back, answer what they say
- Promote them and message them when something comes up they would enjoy
It’s All About Connecting on Social Media
See how all of these things are about connecting? Connecting content with the right people, connecting people with people, businesses with people, the people behind a business name with people following that business. This is what social media is all about, and what you should try to focus all of your efforts on.
Still confused about social media and connecting with personalization? Send me an email, I’d love to help a reader.
© 2013 – 2014, Social Media Consultant. All rights reserved.